As the temperatures are getting warmer it is no surprise that people are getting out of the house more and taking walks, shopping, and enjoying the great outdoors. During this time of the year, it is important to take extra precautions while driving to avoid potentially fatal accidents with pedestrians. Your local new and used GMC truck dealer in Thunder Bay wants you to stay on the roads whether you are enjoying a nice walk or behind the wheel. Here are some tips from walkinginfo.org:
Tips for Pedestrians
- Use a flashlight at night and wear brightly colored/reflective clothing.
- Only cross the street where crosswalks are available or where there is a street light if at night.
- When walking near obstacles/parked cars/large vehicles or buses make sure you look more than once and avoid these hazards altogether if possible.
- Always use the sidewalk when available.
- Walk facing the traffic if it is necessary to walk on the road.
- Don’t assume vehicles will give you the right-away. Always be alert and pay attention.
- Don’t always rely on the pedestrian signals when available. You should still watch for cars.
- Be careful if walking with headphones. This will impair your hearing and will not allow you to be alert to engine noise.
Tips for Drivers
- Don’t drive distracted…especially in school zones or areas where children are playing.
- Make sure to double check behind you for pedestrians before reversing your vehicle.
- Keep your windows clean so you can see properly.
- Stop for pedestrians at crosswalks.
- Stop for pedestrians even if there isn’t a crosswalk.
- Make sure to stop at lights and stop signs before the crosswalk so you don’t block the pathway.
- Don’t pass other vehicles that are stopped for pedestrians.